At Hippo Education, we create captivating and effective medical education products that keep clinicians up-to-date and at their best. We are financially strong and continue to grow with new products and a team that has gone from 3 people in 2011 to more than 30 today. We’re a fun-loving and quick-to-laugh group that works very hard. Some of us work at the main office/studio in Los Angeles, some in Santa Barbara, and others work remotely. We think this is a great place to work and we’re genuinely proud of the positive impact we have on doctors and their patients.
While we’ve been very successful with what we’ve done so far, we believe there’s an enormous opportunity to invest even more in our technology to revolutionize the way people learn. As Hippo’s Director of Engineering, you will be our first internal engineering hire and the primary point of contact with our external development team based in Canada.
You will work closely with this team and our head of Product to define the company’s tech vision and roadmap and then bring that vision to life. Initially, you’ll integrate yourself with the dev team and focus on getting up to speed while writing code. Longer term, you will build and lead an internal engineering team to work alongside the team in Canada. As such, it will be critical for you to be able to effectively balance both hands-on development and management responsibilities.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience successfully launching consumer Web / mobile products
- Experience developing both full-stack web applications and native mobile applications a plus
- Experience contributing to existing codebases and taking ownership of existing projects
- Experience leading a team and managing other engineers
- Experience working with remote teams
- A massive sense of humor, optimism, and an ability to roll with lots of changes
- You live in Southern California, are willing to relocate, or are happy to travel to Los Angeles frequently
- Full time with mixture of on-site and remote responsibilities
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Competitive salary, 401(k), and health benefits
- Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
Send us your resume as well as links to relevant examples of recent work (your GitHub or equivalent profile would be a great way to start) to email@example.com. We'll get back to you within a few days if there is a fit.